Blog Archive

Monday, April 4, 2011

“THAT WAS SO COOL!”


I bet I said that at least 30 times to Leah Sunday night. 
Leah and I rushed (literally, we ran) home from our group dinner on Sunday night because we did not want to miss the procession going past our house.  We didn’t need to worry because on Guatemalan time the procession didn’t come for a good 45 minutes after it was supposed to. 
Shortly after getting home, Elvira’s (my host mom/grandma) family started making the alfombra.  I was too worried I would be in the way if we helped, but Leah went down and asked if she could help.  After seeing Leah help, I decided I didn’t want to miss out on anything so I went down to help make it too.  If it weren’t for Leah, I wouldn’t do anything in Antigua.  I’m pretty sure God knew what I needed in a roommate.  I’m so glad  I went down to help.  How many people can say that they’ve helped make an alfombra?  Yeah, not many…at least not many people from the States.

I actually think that Leah is the only person in this picture that lives in our house or is family of Elvira.  The rest are staying at the hotel across the street and decided to help.
To make the alfombra, first they put all the pine needles on the street and made them all even.  Then we took part of a coconut plant and made the border.  After that the family started making the outline for the things in the middle of the alfombra using flowers, and then we helped fill it in.  We were literally working on the last little touches of it up until the procession was coming.  Just in time for them to walk all over it.

The finished product!

Then I raced upstairs to see the procession from our balcony.  I was going to watch it from the street, but I decided that I will be able to watch plenty of processions from the street during Semana Santa because not all the processions come down our street.  IT WAS SO COOL!  We had the perfect view of it from our room.  Leah and I kept saying how we have the best room in all of Antigua. 


One of the funniest parts of the procession was the "tren de limpieza" (the cleaning train).  There's this big truck and a bulldozer that come by after the procession.  A bunch of guys scoop up the alfombra into the bulldozer, and then they dump it in the back of the truck.  And BAM!!  The only clue that there was a procession is the smell of incense. 

Tren de limpieza!

After the procession Elvira was laughing at me because I was so excited about how cool it was.  It was the perfect way to end an awesome weekend!

No comments: