Blog Archive

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Pieces of my Week

I know I've updated this a lot already this week, but I'm feeling sorry for my dad who's stuck in bed after having his hip replaced last week.  I feel like I should give him 5 minutes of excitement since the most exciting part of his day is making the trip out to get the mail.


"You WILL get sick."

This is what we were told in our pre-trip meetings.  Well, if the only time I get sick is this past Tuesday, I won't complain.  I was at school reading my homework to my teacher, and I was thinking that I didn't feel very good.  I told myself to suck it up, and that I'm probably just exaggerating how I feel after the first sign of not feeling well.  After about 5 minutes, I decided that I really didn't feel well and should probably go talk to Becky.  I didn't quite make it to Becky...  I went home after that, and felt better about 2 hours later.  It was the weirdest thing.  I took a zinc tablet before breakfast to help boost my immune system, but I don't think it went well with the pineapple I had for breakfast. 


Sucesos Actuales-

I realized I haven't mentioned much about my Spanish class in my past few blogs.  School isn't the most exciting thing I do here, so I guess it just doesn't get mentioned much.  After tomorrow, I have five days left of class, but they'll probably be the most stressful.  I have a 12-15 page paper due, and I have to give a 15-18 minute presentation to the other students taking the same class as me and their teachers.  Some of the other parts of the class have included interviewing 10 people and writing reviews of the interviews as well as watching several movies and documentaries about Guatemala.  It's been interesting, and although it isn't what I expected it to be, I'm learning a lot.  However, I don't think I'll be crying when it's over.


The paperboys-

Every day for our class Leah and I have to get a paper because we're studying current issues in Guatemala.  We get our papers from this older man and this younger boy who appears to be his son.  When they see us walking down the street, they get two Prensa Libres out for us.  Today as we left the older man goes, "Ok, see you later." in this cute English accent because obviously his native language is Spanish.


Skype with Dad-

I Skyped with my dad today to help break up his long day in bed.  One of the things he asked was, "So you're really not going to tell me what you got me?"  Haha!  He's worse than a little boy!  When I told him no, he replied with, "But what if you give it to me and I don't know what it is?"  He makes me laugh!



This weekend we're leaving for Tikal Saturday morning at 4:15.  I'm really looking forward to it, even if it means I won't have very much time this weekend to work on my paper for Spanish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*hip replaced