Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Río Dulce

Last weekend a bunch of us went on a trip to Río Dulce.  It was a super relaxing, fun weekend.  Saturday was spent driving there because it takes about 7 hours to get there.  We stayed at a little hotel/hostel.  There were private rooms, but most of us stayed in the hostel part of it.  I had never stayed in a hostel before, but I was glad I got to experience it.  It felt like a glorified cabin at a summer camp.  The room was built on a dock so it was really cool.


That was where we stayed.
Río Dulce is a river that connects a lake to the Caribbean Sea.  It’s super pretty and it reminded me a lot of Minnesota just being by the water and on a boat.




On Sunday we went on a boat tour all day.  It was super fun to see the river and the ocean from a boat.  We went to the Caribbean Sea, and the beach was beautiful.  There was quite a bit of seaweed, so I opted out of swimming; however, I enjoyed just sitting by the beach.  From the Beach we could see Belize, which made me think of my mom because she’s always wanted to go there.  After that we rode the boat to another town called Livingston to eat lunch. 




Then we rode down to another part of the river to see a castle.  The Spanish had built it 500 years ago when they first settled Guatemala to protect from the pirates.  It was super cool.




Then we went to eat and walked around this little carnival.  The carnival reminded me of an episode of Scooby Doo when they’re at an amusement park at night and it’s a little creepy.  I would not have trusted the rides at this place at all.  A few people from our group braved the Ferris wheel.  It looked like a metal death trap to me.  It went as fast as a roller coaster, no joke.  I was very glad I decided not to experience that part of Guatemala. 


This was one of the most interesting Merry-Go-Rounds I have ever seen!

We headed back to Antigua Monday, and we back around 4:00.  Leah didn’t come with on the trip because her family arrived Sunday afternoon.  It was weird not having her around all weekend, and I was ready to get back to Antigua to see her and meet her family.  Her mom, grandma, and sister are here, and they are actually staying at our house, in our room! 
One of the best parts about this trip was I don’t feel like I’m behind on homework because we are on Spring Break!! 

No comments: