Blog Archive

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Laughs at Language School

Over the past couple days I have provided my language teacher with a few laughs during class...

Yesterday we were working on the subjunctive (a really awful verb tense that I will probably never understand), and she was asking me questions to practice it.  One of the questions was, who would you call if there was a fire at your house?  I said I would call Becky.  She goes, "No, who would you call?"  I kept insisting on Becky because if there was a fire at my house here in Guatemala, the first person I would call would be Becky.  Then she goes, "No, you're here all by yourself, who do you call?"  Then it dawns on me, and I tell her the police.  Then she tells me that's better, but instead of calling the police first, I would call the firemen.  I laughed and felt stupid, but I told her I'd still probably call Becky first and have Becky call the firemen for me.

Today we were reading the newspaper, and one of the articles was about a fire, which brought the topic up again.  Then I realized that in the States we have the same number for the police and the firemen.  I asked her if they have two numbers here, and they do.  Which explains the confusion from the day before.  We both had a good laugh over that.

Then today when I was reading my presentation to her, I said that the nature and culture of Guatemala "atracan" the tourists here.  I meant that they attract tourists; however, "atracar" means to rob or to assault.  I meant to say "atraer."  We both laughed when I realized what "atracar" means.

I only have one day left of school, and then it's Spring Break!!  Whoo Hoo!!

No comments: