Blog Archive

Monday, May 16, 2011

Evelin


Sponsoring a child is something that has been on my mind on and off for several years.  It’s something that you hear about a lot, but one of my doubts was that I never really knew where the money when and what was done with it.  After working with SI and spending time at the school in El Gorrión as well as working a couple days with Nivia who is in charge of the child sponsorship site, I decided that I wanted to sponsor a child in El Gorrión.  I saw the benefits of other sponsors and know that the money is being used for what it is supposed to.
I helped Nivia wrap birthday gifts for the kids being sponsored, and that was the first time I really realized how special of a program this is.  Nivia knows all of the kids by name, and she specially chooses each gift for each child.  There was one time when I had mixed up the shirts and didn’t know who they were for.  I asked Nivia, and right away she told me which shirt was for which girl.  It showed me that she didn’t just buy the same outfit for every kid, but she put time into picking out each birthday gift.
 I knew that it would be a big commitment to sponsor a child and that there might be times when I am unable to cover all of the costs, so I asked my parents if they would be willing to help me out when I needed it and they said that they would.  I talked to Nivia about it, and she helped me pick out a child.  We were going through the list of kids who aren’t sponsored, and she told me that Evelin had just lost her sponsor.  I remembered Evelin from school.  I was drawn to her at school because she was quiet and reserved, a lot like I was and am.  Because of that, I would look for opportunities to talk to her and hang out with her. 

Evelin and I during my time at the school.

On the last day of sites we went to the little tienda that Evelin’s parents own right outside of the community center, and I told them that I was going to sponsor Evelin.  Then we went to their house and I met the rest of Evelin’s siblings, Danielson is 10 and Yasmin is 4.  Evelin remembered me from the school, which made me happy.
We stayed there for probably about an hour talking.  I learned a lot about the family and Evelin.  Evelin’s parents used to run the little tienda at the school, but about three months ago they started the tienda outside the community center.  They sell chips, snow cones, tacos, tostadas, and other little snacks there.  They have a talking parrot and several dogs.  Evelin likes school, and her favorite subject is English.  Her favorite color is pink, and she likes cats.  She gets along well with both of her siblings.  After being there for an hour it was so obvious what a good big brother Danielson is.  It was precious watching them interact. 
It was a super great opportunity to be able to meet her family and visit her house.  I am blessed.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greta,

That's so great. I didn't realize that you decided to sponsor a child! I sponsor a child in Haiti and I am so blessed to support him each month.