Blog Archive

Friday, April 29, 2011

Trabajo Social

There is one thing I have learned this week, social work is not for me.  Although, I know that I do not want to pursure a career as a social worker, I am learning a lot about the people in El Gorrion.

Every day we do different things with Nic.  A lot of what we've been doing is going to different people's houses and listening to them.  Nic wants us to ask them questions about their lives, their struggles, and their needs.  It is really hard for me to ask them such personal questions because that is not part of our culture at all.  It also doesn't help that Emily and I are both pretty introverted.

Nic sent us on our own today to talk with several people because he had several other things to do in the office, that and he has noticed that we've been struggling to ask questions so he wanted to give us a little push to get us talking more with the families.  It went ok, but it was slightly awkward at times.

It's amazing to me that people that I've never met before, and I may never see again after two weeks will open themselves up to me so much.  Nic has awesome relationships with the people of this community, and the people trust him a ton.  Because of this they are willing to open themselves up to us because we are his students.

I am hoping that in the next couple weeks I will learn a lot about how to communicate in these situations better. 

For now, I'm going to enjoy a relaxing weekend in Magdalena! =)

No comments: