Blog Archive

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Shopping, Shopping, Ice Cream, and Shopping!


Leah and I had a great Saturday shopping and exploring Antigua all day.  We started off at the main market by going to the Pacas, the used American clothing part of the market.  It was fun to look at all the ridiculous items of clothing they have there.  Then we went to the artisan market, and I got this great red quilt.  It gets kind of cold here at night, so I went to the market on Friday to get a brightly colored, typical Guatemalan blanket for at night.  While I was there, I also saw this great red quilt.  I decided to go back today to check out how much they wanted for it, and since it was a really good price I decided to get it.  I felt guilty for getting two blankets, but I use blankets all the time and they were both really good prices.















After lunch Leah and I did some more exploring.  We found the indoor market, and basically went in every shop we passed on the streets.  Because we didn’t eat much for lunch, we decided to find food, and by food we mean ice cream.  We didn’t really plan that, it just sort of happened.  While we were eating our ice cream Leah goes, “I love how we’re so hungry and need food, and we end up in an ice cream shop!”  We did some more exploring and went in more shops after that, and by then it was time to head home for supper.
Shopping in Antigua is kind of intense.  I’m the kind of shopper that likes to take my time and really look at all my options before making a purchase.  This kind of shopping isn’t really allowed here.  As we walk through the market, every vendor is talking to us trying to get us to come into their store, so there isn’t time to really look at the stuff without someone standing there talking to you, most of the time we play the dumb Americans and act like we don’t speak Spanish.  Then they will usually try a few English phrases to get us to come in their store or buy whatever it is we’re looking at.  “Looking for something special?”  “Something for your mother, enemy, boyfriend, cousin”  “A special price for you.”   “What is your price?”  “What you pay?”  These vendors also have the best ears ever.  Leah and I will whisper something about one of their products and within 2 seconds they will show us 5 different styles of whatever we just mentioned.
And on our way home we saw a bakery a block from our house that we tried this morning for breakfast, and it was SO good!  We definitely hit the jackpot!  I got a muffin and pan dulce (sweet bread) for about $0.50!  So great!
It was a really fun day, and I’m so glad Leah loves looking in all the shops as much as I do!  I’m sure there will be more of these days in the next few months! 
Happy Sunday everyone!!

No comments: